Peter Broderick - Another new album!



Jesus, there's no stopping Peter Broderick.

After already releasing a new album this year on Bella Union, the excellent http://www.itstartshear.com (yes, it's a web address, try typing it in your browser, and more here), he's now announced another new album to come out in October on Erased Tapes. These walls of mine is the title. Here's some background from PB.

“I had recently been experimenting at home with a microphone and a laptop, recording and uploading new songs for free online, each one alongside a photo and some words, and open to comments from the outside world. At some point Robert (Erased Tapes label founder) started listening to the music and felt compelled to encourage me to compile an album with all this material. His reaction to ‘These Walls of Mine’ (the song, not the album) was exactly how I felt about the music. I wasn’t sure if I loved it or hated it. But I loved the feeling of that uncertainty, of surprising myself and others around me. And in the end Robert got behind all the songs, which gave me the courage to finish the music for this release.

These songs are best viewed as a collection of lyrical and vocal experiments. Of course the instruments and the music are important, but this album is held together by a dialogue of voices. Conversations with myself and with others. Several tracks contain lyrical contributions from friends and strangers, made possible with the help of the internet.

And then I sang and sang and sang. I love singing. And I love cats.”


– PETER BRODERICK

TRACK LISTING: 1. Inside Out There 2. Freyr! 3. I’ve Tried 4. Proposed Solution to the Mystery of the Soul 5. When I Blank I Blank 6. These Walls of Mine I 7. These Walls of Mine II 8. I Do This 9. Copenhagen Ducks 10. Til Danmark

Anyone who picked up the release he mentions (he uploaded it to his Flickr page a couple of years back) will recognise 'I do this' and 'Freyr', both deceptively simple and beautifully intimate pieces.

I'll post some more in terms of review later in the summer (hopefully there'll be more audio/video to share too) - on first listen, it's another intriguing, and ambitious, work, full of heart and melody. For now, here's a teaser.

Peter Broderick – These Walls Of Mine (Official Trailer) from Erased Tapes on Vimeo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)