JR Green – Nigerian Princess (from Bring the witch doctor EP, Hits The Fan Records)

A most welcome addition to the canon of foul mouthed folk music from a pair of teenage Scottish brothers.

A rowdy acoustic guitar and an accordion carry most of this but there’s not a hint of The Proclaimers you’ll be glad to hear (in fairness, I suppose the Reid brothers aren’t the worst, but ‘500 Miles’ does still give me the night sweats).

There’s winning melodies at every turn and a great rough croon of a lead vocal but I think what I like best are the fantastic lyrical chops. Take this gem for example -

I’m sorry for my output I’m surrounded by wankers
I’m only 17 and I don’t have all the answers...yet


Yeah, bit of a punk spirit, or “low-fi traditional skronk” as they put it themselves.

Top notch all round and like Frightened Rabbit, who were also launched by Hits the Fan, you wouldn’t rule out stadiums for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)