Sodastream – Three sins (from the album Little by little, Sodastream Music)

Alternative pop belter from the veteran Australian duo.

A sawing cello and simple acoustic guitar strum tend to mask the murky depths of the song, as Karl Smith’s sweet voice, reminiscient of Jonathan Richman or Stuart Murdoch, intones about bonfires on Christmas Eve.

However, an early clue is delivered in the shape of this ear catching line, soon I’ll burn all these fuckers around me.

As the song gathers a kind of VU style pace and power with a vocal background drone like a choir of the dispossessed, Smith ups the ante.

I touched those boys, those boys in the wrong way

and

Between my legs takes the loving from me

and

So I’ll kiss this medal when they come to get me.

And a chill sets in as string feedback swings back and forth until the final rowdy refrain which comes on quite like ‘Venus in furs’ on smoother drugs, all bumps and grinds and chaotic rumbles.

A miniature masterpiece of incendiary songwriting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best of 2014 - Part 4: Jazz/Chamber/Orchestral/Wonky/Ambient/Minimalist

Best of 2014 - Part 3: Psych/Krautrock/Punk/Blues/Glam/Tropical

Matthew Bourne - Montauk Variations (The Leaf Label)